Skip to main content

No Sleep till Iceland

I finally arrived to Gothenburg, Sweden after 18 hours of sleepless flights with the only plan to meet Johan Nilson in the airport. I was tired yet excited and eager to see where I would be staying. Johan drove me to the my place and it soon became clear on the ride over that I was in for an unforgettable week in Sweden. We arrived at the gardens where I had to pinch myself that I was literally staying inside the gates of the garden in a beautiful historic yellow house surrounded by one of Europe's most famous gardens.

My home for the next week
There was some daylight left so he took me on a quick tour of the rock garden and watched as the sun set over Gothenburg. I felt overwhelmed and so grateful that first night.

The view from highest point in the rock garden overlooking Gothenburg to the sea

The next morning I walked into town for coffee to get my bearings on how close I was staying to the center of the city. Johan then picked me up with his family where we drove north along to coast to see Lina's family and nursery. We stopped for a quick coffee on the shore to talk about what species of fish dwell in the cold waters. We arrived just before lunch at the nursery and toured around the nursery where we met Lina's father and mother, Vivi and Tommy. The nursery specializes in many woody plants and Magnolias and has been in business for over 30 years. After a quick tour and a traditional Swedish lunch of herring and shrimp salad inside the greenhouse, Johan and I were off to our next stop.



We arrived at Martha and Karsten Ristorp's home and garden which I soon thought was a small botanic garden. The beds, plants and space was something only few could ever handle on their own. Martha and Karsten's garden is home hundred of Rhododendrons grown for themselves and propagated for others. Their backyard is set up of small greenhouses and cold frames filled with cuttings of many unusual woody plants and seedlings of alpines  including some rare ones I had never seen before such as Pulsatilla integrifolia and some interesting colors of Hepatica nobilis.

Martha, Johan and Karsten

Pulsatilla integrifolia - rare and hard to grow

We walked around for a long time talking about the construction of each bed in which Karsten discussed his passion of building things and taking his time to make sure it's done right. He gave me some good insight on building the sand and peat beds from start to finish. Another technique that I thought was funny but smart is growing 
Ramonda myconi in socks then stuffing them into rock walls so water can trickle down to their roots. I wanted to keep up with taking notes but the jet lag and pure enjoyment of just being in their garden was exactly what I needed on my first day. I will let the pictures do the talking. 



Guardian of the Alpines - For Mike Kintgen

Incredible rock work displayed throughout the garden

Dozens of Rhododendron species from small to large

Ramonda myconi in the rock wall 

New sand bed on the right with seating area one could only dream of in a back yard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Propagation, Planting, and Peter Korn's Garden

Day 2 was another busy day. Johan showed me the cold frames and propagation beds where most of the plants grown for the collections are started. We discussed the ways in certain seed should be sown including soaking, stratifying and scarring. Some bulbous plants take many years to grow from seed where as other alpines can take a a few weeks before they are potted.  Cold frames where seed is started outside Johan then pulled a few pots from the alpine house that needed to be re-potted. I learned that some plants such as Draba or Dionysia can be easily damaged and killed due to their roots clinging to the pots. To avoid this, the clay pot is broken with a hammer on the side where one can then peel the clay carefully from the roots. After that, a larger pot is slightly filled and then the plant is placed carefully in the center and filled around the edges making sure the plant is sitting slightly above the rim of the pot. Small grit or gravel is then sprinkled around and unde

Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh pt. 1

Staying directly across the street from The Botanics, I arrived Tuesday morning to a familiar sight and a warm welcome from Elspeth MacKintosh and John Mitchell. I was incredibly eager to see the progress of their tufa wall and new alpine house and made a B line to both. The morning commute through the Rhododendron gates For those who do not know, I was here two years ago on the same Diana Aitchison Fund to study how alpine houses are built. On my last part of that trip, I spent a day talking with John and Elspeth on their alpine houses to better understand how they are built and to get ideas on how to build one for Betty Ford. The alpine display house had signs of age and was undergoing plans to be rebuilt. At first I almost mistaked the new one for the old one but quickly noticed the new cedar and paving surrounding it. In keeping with the same look as the older one, the new alpine house is absolutely beautiful and quite "smart" as Elspeth would say. Th

Perth, Cluney Gardens, and The Highlands

After a fantastic week in Sweden, I flew over to Scotland where I met up with Carly Epping, also a Diana Aitchison fund student, around 2pm on Friday. We traveled by train up to Perth where we met Julia Corden who was busy setting up for Saturday's SRGC alpine show. Julia drove us to her home in idyllic Scottish town called Pitlochry. The double rainbow and snow dusted mountains in the morning looked like a water color painting. We spent all day Saturday in Perth for the SRGC show where I had the privilege of guest judging with Ian Christie and Ron Mcbeth. It was a lot of fun to talk plants and reconnect with many familiar faces from my trip 2 years ago. Plant shows are unfortunately uncommon in the US. I find them very valuable for networking, community, and spreading knowledge and passion for growing new or rare plants. I hope the tradition continues for years to come and maybe makes its way to the states. The judges and Julia Carly stewarding at her first show eve